Wednesday, November 13, 2013

REVIEWERS REVIEW?


Art by Brandon Pike via Tumbler 



No, no, no, no, I shan't do it. I cannot  review a book that opens with this little gem,  "There was nothing enticing about waking up to a three hundred pound man who smelled faintly of cheese--even if he was a veteran." Go read Laura Spinella's PERFECT TIMING, if you wish. It is more than I can bear.

 As for XO ORPHEUS: Fifty New Myths -- Anthology Edited by Kate Bernheimer, thanks, but no thanks. I prefer Herodotus.

THE ARE ARE NO SAD DOGS DOGS IN HEAVEN, by Sonya Fitzpatrick, The Pet Psych--I should have turned this one down. I am sorry I did not. I found it maudling and  vaguely icky, Even dead pets deserve better. 

ME WHO DOVE INTO THE HEART OF THE WORLD, by Sabina Berman--the lovely title captivated me, the story did not.

ELIZABETHANS, By A. N. Wilson--I had hoped it would fill the vast gaps in my far from Anglocentric education. Alas, I found  drier than  as dust.The author manages to flatten and dull fascinating characters from a brilliant era. Pass.

BLACK SKIES, by Arnaldur Indridason--Perhaps this reads better in Icelandic. The author gets stellar reviews from European and American mass media. My own experience was not that positive. I gave up on page 118 of 330 after deciding that I have more urgent things to do than to wade through a thicket of  cliches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment